Home Boards Blogs Chat Images Links
Post Response Return to Index Read Prev Msg Read Next Msg

DCDB

The Nitty Gritty

Posted By Old Virginia Blog
Date Thursday, 8 November 2018, at 5:30 p.m.

I read a statement today by a political commentator that really got down to the nuts and bolts of our current divide in the United States. It is simple, yet profound. I've said the same thing in other ways here before, but thought I'd expand and rework that writer's assertion a bit and apply it to historiography:
American history was once about a rather narrow range of competing perspectives. Some nuanced disagreements regarding the details on who, what, when, why, where and how was normal, to be expected and even healthy for arriving at the complete truth and picture. But the fundamental agreement among the competing perspectives was this: our founding principles were good and righteous and a great leap forward for mankind. As a whole, even those who disagreed about the details looked upon the founding of the United States with admiration and awe. Sadly, that is no longer the case. The perspectives are now defined in how one views the founding of the United States of America: with hostility and disdain or with affinity and appreciation.
Count me among the latter.

As a political illustration of this divide, consider the following:
NBC Reporter Wonders How Long ‘American Majority Will Tolerate Being Pushed Around By A Rural Minority’
That reveals the "hostility and disdain" to which I allude above. It also reveals stunning ignorance. This "reporter" also opined:
“It may not happen in our lifetimes, but the idea that North Dakota and New York get the same representation in the Senate has to change,”
Why? Because New York wants to control rural, smelly Wal-Mart shoppers and bitter clingers I suppose. Evidently, the "reporter" doesn't understand that the equal representation in the Senate is by design. Moreover, he doesn't understand the principle of checks and balances. The House is where majorities have more say. In the Senate, states are on equal footing. Again, by design. It's pure genius and has worked remarkably well, though certainly messy at times. More here.

Progressives and neo-marxists crave centralized power. Just look at the institutions they control. They crave it for the sake of control and power itself, but they also believe they are morally and intellectually superior to those whom they seek control over.

Carry on.

Read more

This post was auto-generated from content on the Internet.

Password

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message, please provide the URL address of the image file:
Optional Image URL
Optional Graphic Upload
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
  I am a human 
Post Response Return to Index Read Prev Msg Read Next Msg